Thursday, June 3, 2010

Hibachi Style Chicken, Zucchini, Squash, & Onions



Since summer weather began here in the Palmetto state, I really cannot get enough of zucchini and squash. So, I've been coming up with all kinds of ways to use them in meals. Day-to-day life is a bit crazy here in the Thompson household ever since Griffin was born, and I really don't get a chance to fix dinner until after he is in bed by 7pm. Needless to say, I'm STARVING by the time 7 rolls around, and I don't have a lot of patience to make meals that take a long time to prepare. Here is a meal I put together last night using zucchini and squash that is a super quick fix to get that meal into your belly as quickly as possible.

1/2 bag (=1 lb) frozen chicken tenderloins (defrost in microwave 10 min)
2 zucchini
2 yellow squash(es?)
1 onion (I like to use vidalia)
1-2 T cooking oil (vegetable, canola, safflower, whatever)
1-2 T soy sauce (We get the low sodium version)
Black Pepper
(Optional and DELICIOUS: a drizzle of Panda Express sauce or teriyaki sauce)
2 bags 90 second Uncle Ben's brown rice***
1 egg

Defrost chicken 10 min. & cut into bit-sized pieces while warming oil in wok or big frying pan. Put chicken in wok. Wash & cut up zucchini (cut into long strips), squash (cut into circles or half circles), and onions (long strips) while chicken is cooking. Add veggies to wok when chicken is cooked. Drizzle soy sauce and let cook while you cook bags of rice. Take cooked rice and pour into a skillet with a smidge of oil and an egg. Cook until egg is mixed in with rice and fully cooked. I'm not sure exactly how long it takes for the veggies to soften. I guess it sort of depends on how crunchy you like them! I think I cooked them about 10 minutes or so...The key is to let them cook until the water that comes out of them while cooking is mostly cooked off. Soggy, wet veggies are no way to go; so, let that water cook off. Near the end, add the Panda Express sauce (if you're using it...and I HIGHLY recommend it. It adds so much flavor), teriyaki sauce, or more soy sauce and black pepper to taste. Put a pile on your "fried rice," and there you have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers